Monday

Retrospect: MadWorld

(picture by Stanley Woo)

Sure, MadWorld is not over yet. Two weeks later and we will be starting our 2nd leg of the production at SIB KL.

But if I could rewind and then slow down time, I can still remember the scenes as if it just happened yesterday. Wait. The last show in DUMC did happened just yesterday! :P

I still remember the first day we came for briefing in SIB. That was way back in August. We were all shy and awkward as this was the first time 2 churches were collaborating together for a Christmas production. At least I was the shy one. I remember feeling a bit stressed out at the amount of days that I have to come for rehearsals. Man, it was... intense, to say the least! In my mind I was like, "God, I want to quit already!" That time we were unsure of what was going to happen, except it was going to be really crazy in the next few months to come.

Fast forward 3 months and here we are in the 4th month together as a team. We have went through some dissension among us but it was all quickly resolved at the next minute itself. We have all laughed and cried together, held hands together while we prayed for each other; we have even carried each other on our backs literally! Well, some did. Not forgetting to mention about wasting yummy eggs together by freefalling them on a cold windy afternoon, or doing crazy warm ups and focus exercises, having epic face expressions and even staying quiet together, just enjoying each other's company.

And I can now see the smiles etched not just on our faces, but in our hearts as well. Seeing each other almost every day, we were able to grow together, not just in our skills and talents, but also in our love for God and for each other. Sure, we could hate and get sick of each other, but somehow, we didn't.

Standing at a dimly lit backstage while waiting for our cues, I can see our principals being prepped in their corners. I can see our stage managers standing by at their positions with their walkie earpiece transmitter thingie in their fingers, ready to receive and transmit messages to the front of house. I can also see the dancers warming up while holding smiles on their faces. I can see the wardrobe people and makeup artists, along with the hairstylists standing or sitting in their stations, staring at the TV inside the dressing rooms, anticipating. I can also see the singers in their party clothes and hats, just waiting to go clubbing. ;)

And then change of scenes. I can see the casts running across the backstage to reach their dressing rooms just in time to change quickly. And I hear the drums outside while the two principals, Adam and Lucas, meets in an encounter. I then see the cast members, each having a different expression on their faces, listening and watching intently for their turn.

I then see the casts once again in changed clothes, ready to go on stage. I see the ballerinas in their detailed white dresses. I remember our faces as we told each other to smile, as we were bringing our final piece of the MadWorld message to the audience. "There are no orphans of God..."

I remember the screams and shouts of the casts and crew behind stage once everything was over. In the dimly lit corridor, our joyful cheers or praise was louder than what was outside. It didn't matter if we slipped up, messed up or forgot our steps or lines. It was a joy just to be with each other, to serve alongside and to speak the gospel to the audience together. I remember the faces of everyone, cast and crew, how they glowed as their stress and pressure dropped, with nothing else but to celebrate the goodness.

Yet, it was such a humbling thought that it was only by grace we were saved, and it was only by grace that we could stand shoulder to shoulder, face the storm together in love and come out bruised, wounded, but victorious. Victorious because of our first Love. The Love that brought us together, the Love that kept us going, the Love that bind us together.

If I ever forget anything about MadWorld, may it never be that of the fellowship, the unity and the love we shared for each other, and especially the Love who is the beginning and the end of MadWorld.

No comments: