On the other hand:Just finished watching It Started With A Kiss (Itazura Na Kiss)...还蛮好看也。。。超赞!... I know, I can't help it. The guy is tall. :P
July is coming...June is ending....
And thank God I have finished two assignments (handed them up already!) and three more left. One is more incomplete...and the dateline is this Friday! 好快也! 还蛮可怕的也。。。
I get to have this tendency to follow suit the language of what I watch..so if if I watched Korean drama, I would speak Korean to no end...sometimes not understanding what I'm saying also...hahaha..nolah. Of course I understand to some extend. (가지마 would mean "don't go!") If I watched Chinese/Taiwan drama, I would also follow suit...speak Mandarin or my broken Hokkien to no end. Of course I understand Mandarin much better than any other second..third language...华语毕竟是母语啊。。。And then I will also go on a bit of a fetish for old Chinese words...繁體字還蠻酷地也。。。。。。你不覺得嗎?
Oops. Digressed.
So if I watch Japanese anime or TV drama, I also tend to go Japanese also...thus comes out with "Doushite?!" or "Nani?!"...
But of course when I watch English drama or something along that line, then I would speak English lah..but it's just that English has become so universal that it's impossible to not learn it.
My parents always think that watching dramas are a waste of time...ahhaha...to a certain extend, they are. But it's through dramas that I learn many things related to life or media production. One is how to be real careful with a goof that will always appear: Continuity.
Sometimes, the continuity between scenes can really be so awkward...like in ISWAK (refer to fine print above), there was one scene in Episode 29 that when the main girl and the main guy were kneeling down and waiting for the boss of some company (so cliche, but it works! Not the kneeling-to-get-attention-would-work-in-real-life, but in shows, it does work!), they actually fell asleep. The main girl was leaning on the guy's shoulder and he being taller, was leaning on her head. That was shot from the back...but when the shot was from the front, the guy didn't have his head leaning on her head. Then the angle change to the back again...then it was the same as the first back shot...so yeah, that kind of continuity is quite unavoidable sometimes but I think it can be avoided. I don't know. I'm not in the production yet. Maybe chasing datelines can cause mistakes.
And another benefit in watching dramas are improving the language. I know some of you would be like.."Hello, read book lah!" But it's not the same.
Take for example, learning Hokkien requires some amount of listening and lots of subtitles to go with. Chinese subtitles, mind you. So, I've learned Mandarin for almost all my life. I can still read well and so when the characters speak Hokkien, I read the subtitles and I identify which word sounds like what. That's why, for Japanese and Korean dramas, I also opt for Mandarin subtitles cause they are the closest translation. What to do, both language came from China in one way or another.
Then, another way to learn it is to speak with people who can speak that language. That's how I brush up my Malay mostly...and of course the rest lah...except Korean and Japanese. Haven't got any friends from there yet. So, I'm still very in the beginning stage...esp. Japanese.
哇! 讲了那么多...
So, yeah. If I start speaking in Indian or Tagalog...you know lah...what language of drama I've been watching. Haha.




No comments:
Post a Comment