Sunday

Underrated Love

My new stock of Korean CDs have finally arrived into my arms! ^^

Although all of them are considered 'old' since it's been a few months since their release, I haven't heard any of their tracks except for a few.

But physical CDs to me are very important for keepsake purposes. Especially of those who are underrated. Because their underrated means they are real good for collection. Call it the audiophile's collection.


First off, it's J.ae (formerly J) mini album 'Sentimental'. When I heard that she finally released a long-awaited album, I was ecstatic. I heard it only once and decided to buy the album, regardless it's a mini album or not. J.ae is the first person who opened up my eyes to all things Kpop. Not surprisingly, she's also one of the first Asian R&B/Soul artistes that pops into my mind when I discuss about Asian R&B/Soul. :D

And her R&B skills with her breathy voice has never stopped from intriguing me.

At first listen, I'm already very in love with track 7 ' Love'. Too bad there is one track that never made it to the final cut. Would have been awesome. (Too bad she don't have Twitter. I'd stalk all day. XD)


2nd: Fly To The Sky's Brian's 2nd solo album 'Manifold'.

I will honestly say this. When I heard about FTTS disbandment, I was disappointed. I seem to always appreciate artistes after they disband. -__- If there is a song lyrics for my life, I'd pick Joni Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi'.

And no thanks to my Korean language impediment, it's been great to have someone to speak English all the time on their Twitter. (Don't get me wrong here, I love my native Koreans. Just that I need a dictionary all the time and it's a little time-consuming to translate them...especially in the office. LOL.)

When I first knew about FTTS, I saw both of them on Star Golden Bell, promoting their last album 'Decennium' together. And from there, I heard that Brian has always been the underrated one since many loved Hwanhee's voice more.

Honestly...I liked Brian's voice more. (Sorry, Fany. :P)

I still do.


I love how he signs all his albums. Such a pleasant surprise. Maybe I'm a newbie, but I really appreciate the fact that he sat down and sign each of his albums. It's not printed, you can actually feel the pen mark. If you get what I mean. The only gripe I have with the printing of the album...is that the glue at the back is coming apart... T^T. Not very fun.


3rd: Mate EP album 'Be Mate'

Mate is indie turned mainstream in Korea. But I would say they are still very underrated. Kpop is filled with all kinds of dance bubblegum beastly what-have-you and singer-songwriters, especially in genres other than dance, is quite underrated, no matter how popular they are. My friend who got me these was telling me that his Korean friends only recognized half of the artistes. LOL.

But back to the point. I love Mate, a soft rock band, with their very beautiful rock sound (I don't know how do you explain that). Their first album was pure love at first heard...so it's only practical that I get their EP, right?



4th: Epik High's 'Epilogue'

Epik High minus one, if you like. DJ Tukutz is off for military training and this is the last album put together by Tablo and Mithra Jin before they call it a hiatus to wait for their buddy to return from the army. So it's gonna be 1 and 1/2 years before we'll hear from the hip hop group again.

I hadn't plan on buying this because I'm not a Epik High fan initially. I appreciate their music though, and I've always heard about them. But I heard their title track 'Run' and another track 'Over' and I was in love. That's why I cannot listen to newly released tracks. -__-




Last: Loveholics's 'In The Air' (the 'oldest' album of the bunch)

Loveholic - Jisun = Loveholics

I loved Loveholic ever since Javabeans introduced them on her site. I loved the composing, the writing and Jisun's angelic voice.

Then Jisun left, but the composing powerhouse duo is still around. I haven't really listen to this album, so I'm expecting this to surprise me. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love Jisun's composing in her solo debut album 'Mermaid...Come Home' but I think Kang Hyun Min and Lee Jae Hak have serious writing chops.

Edit: I'm absolutely in love with this album. Especially their title track 'Pain' sung by Jang Eun Ah.


As I wrote on my Twitter, it's gonna be a music fest for the next few days. :D

No comments: