Friday
Stirring
In 2009, I always wished I was more this, more that, more this, more that...
Then, I realised that my whole year, I've just been wishing for this that this that but never really pursuing and making change.
When Pr. Daniel asked the congregation a question: Who did you influence and impacted positively for this past year?
Frankly, I don't know.
And that question disturbed and bothered me.
And I realised, that though I might have achieved many things in 2009, I achieved nothing.
Goes to say that everything is meaningless, or at least, what I have done has become meaningless.
But is it time to look back and regret?
No.
I was catching up on the tweets I follow and one of them tweeting is Jaeson Ma. He's an American-Chinese pastor who's ministering to campuses in America and entertainers in Asia.
He was talking about his new year resolution being 365 Days of Love. 365 days that each day he will show God's love to anyone who needs it. It's like getting divine encounter everyday, man. I 'wow'ed at his resolution. I really do respect this guy, ever since I've known about him.
But that also made me think.
Am I gonna be just stuck with small ambitions and narrow mindsets?
I believe God has called me to greater things and I believe that us Christians, wherever we are, whoever we are, are all called to certain greatness. We are, as Christ called us, salt of the earth and light of the world. City on a hill that cannot be hidden. Pastor David Foster, of the book 'Accept No Mediocre Life', exhorts on this point that we were all born for extraordinary living.
Sure, we can be working and doing things we love, like for me, is knowing about Kpop and its culture..but how do we do it in a way that brings a bigger purpose in life?
TobyMac, the only hip-hop artist that I favorite in CCM, rapped this part in his song 'Lose My Soul' - "Everything that I see draws me, though it's only in You that I can truly see that its a feast for the eyes- a low blow to purpose. And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus."
Everything I see draws me, but seriously, what is the one that holds a bigger purpose? Not to say that we can't have interest in many things, we can, just that...if it's hindering you from reaching out to people who need a human touch and extraordinary kindness (only found in God), then I would say that the interest need to be tweaked and controlled.
There's always been a stirring in my heart to do great things for God. Great things don't need to mean that I want to be like Billy Graham, be one of the most sought-after evangelist. Or Mother Theresa, whose love overshadows politicians and their speeches.
Wherever God put me, I want to be a shining light for Him. Shout His fame for Him, show His kindness for Him, love like Him, be humble like Him.
Aunty Christina told me once that as all of us make up the body of Christ, what God has designated for each one of us can never be replaced by someone else. All our talents (or lack thereof, as we like to think) are unique to us and most of all, unique to God. God can use us in unimaginable ways.
Pastor David Foster wrote a chapter on fear in the book mentioned earlier and how fear cripples us to do great things for God. And so, one of my new year resolution is to put on love, a perfect love that drives out all fear.
And that, is what I want to be in 2010. Not to put a feather on my cap so I can boast, but rather, to be more like Him so that I can love more.
***
Read about Jaeson's bold resolution here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment