Tuesday

Valentine Pinks

on the other hand:
won't be updating much after next week. Thanks to exams and deadlines. Two subjects, but halfway cannot handle-liao. How?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's the season of love or Valentine's month. People always have this weird habit on naming the whole month a celebration though it really only falls on one day. You will have the National Day Month, the Thanksgiving Day Month, the Christmas Day Month, the Valentine's Day Month, but New Year's Day is only a day. On the 2nd of January, many either slumps over couches and other house's floors recovering from a hungover. Some already slump at the 1st itself. If not, sleeping through 1st and 2nd of January usually happens. Hehe.

But Valentine's and the aforementioned ones are really different. I guess it's the celebration that becomes a little too commercialised, no? Come, look at it. You have department stores starting their promotion in end of January. You hear advertisement talking about love. Promotions promotions promotions! Teddy bear sales start to go up. Roses start to bloom more often...Willy Wonka churn out more goodies...

And even after Valentine's Day, some places are still celebrating love and watching lovey dovey movies. Italiannies is still full every weekend and the best is that things are gets cheap after that. (just so to sell off dying roses and moulding chocolates...) Talk about getting a good price for a date! Guys don't need to whine or gape at their monthly allowance disappear by mid-February and roses will still wilt, fresh or not, so might as well get a dying one eh?

Of course, girls, if that's the case, dump the guy! He's not willing to spend anything for you. Though of course, if you like wilting flowers and moulding chocolates (ooh! is it frosting?), then I guess you should be happy as well, no?

But it's one of the most expensive months, I tell you.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm happy with Valentine's Day. I think that it's appropriate for everyone to celebrate love, teddy bears or not. It's a time where couples all around are reminded that hey, there is such a thing call love. It's a time to renew commitment, go stronger and celebrate anniversaries (if the guy ever forgets when was the exact date), and maybe celebrate birthdays (like Larry's)!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But I rather dislike the ideas of teddy bears, flowers (esp. roses) and chocolates for V day. I see the stall in my campus today selling exactly all these and I stick my tongue out at them. (Not in front of them of course!) And V day must be red and pink! Just because the major part of the heart is red and pink, doesn't mean it must be red and pink! There's bluish-green-purplish too you know...

As Adam Savage of Mythbusters say, "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own." So, I want to see more creativity...no, don't bother about Ferrero Rocher bouquets. It's getting cliche. Give something else to your loved ones. Surprise them with different things. C'mon, you are born with creativity! Use it!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And oh, please don't play songs like "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson of a Valentine's Day! It is an inappropriate song...don't you think? Play ballads like Babyface's "Everytime I Close My Eyes", Brian McKnight's "Back At One", Clay Aiken's "The Way" and duets like Richard Marx and Donna Lewis' "At The Beginning", Jon Secada and Shanice's "If I Never Knew You", even the classic Carpenter's "Close To You" or Nat King Cole's "L.O.V.E"...there are so many great love songs...so don't pick breakup songs or worse, depressing songs!

Yes, I am a hopeless romantic.

Celebrate love! It's a divine feeling, as my lecturer would put it. But add in some dose of creativity...or at least stop buying teddy bears, chocolates and roses. They are just too commercialised. Unless of course you planted the rose yourself...or you own Cadbury...or Lovely Lace...or Hallmark...or Paris. Of course if you insist, then it's your choice, now. Isn't it? Roses, honestly, are beautiful, I like them. But I like them to be a surprise. Not a V day thingie.

Now, don't be cruel to those who are single. Singles, go join friends! Go have fun with your chums...laugh at all the awkwardness of romance, watch chick flick till you drop even if you are a guy, sing out of tune terrible, dance in your two left feet...hey, you might just impress your date next time. Don't cry if you don't have a date. I don't. Be your own Valentine. Life is as colorful as one with dates.

And those who choose to break a relationship during V day...I don't know. I do pity you and the other party. Well, take solace that you can actually scurry into the crowds and disappear as soon as possible. Just don't wear bright florescent green or pink or yellow though. If not, for your date, it is V day for sure. V for Vendetta!

Again, people like Sherry, don't get too sad. You will get to celebrate Valentine's. Just not tomorrow. :P

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Let love rule! Celebrate celebrate!

No comments: