Saturday

Op Ed: Oh Lookie, What Do We Have Here...

All Kpop gossip sites are debating on this hot issue right now: Epik High's Tablo becoming a daddy and getting married 2PM's leader Park Jae-beom (Jay)'s hot soup.

Here's the gist: Jay 4 years ago wrote some degrading remarks about Korea and Koreans on his MySpace page and now netarchaelogists (i think that should be netizens' new name) have found out about it. No surprise. They are mighty furious and are signing a petition to boycott Jay and send him back to America.

From netizens' POV:
I can totally understand their feelings of being betrayed by a well-loved leader like Jay. He was seriously a role model to young kids and all. To be called 'gay' and such by a role model is seriously blowing. I would get angry and burn all his posters as well. I would be pissed if someone calls Malaysians idiots or gay or any other derogatory terms found in urbandictionary.com.

From Jay's POV:
I can totally understand his sudden change from an American, very open-minded kind of lifestyle to a more conservative and high cultured environment would be VERY difficult. But he did apologized immediately, posting a message on Daum website and apologizing.

My POV:
Though I think Jay did a stupid thing by not being more careful in his cleaning of evidence words, I also think netizens is blowing this into proportions bigger than it should be. One, it's 4 years ago. Yes, when we are young, we say and do stupid things. Don't tell me you were well-behaved and blessed with wisdom from the very day you are born. Gillian Chung did stupid things like taking questionable pictures. Edison Chen did stupid things like being a playboy. Even our own Malaysian star Suki also said some stupid things.

And we are human. We still say and do stupid things. Take Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, Russell Crowe, etc. Heck, even PRESIDENT OBAMA, the charismatic president.

Granted, idols/artistes/stars bear this burden in a heavier way because of their fame. What a price to pay for fame. So, who still wants to be a celebrity?

It is hurtful, but netizens should also try to understand Jay's POV and try to forgive him as he immediately apologized. He said that he now come to love his Korean-ness, meaning he would have learned to understand his Asian heritage and appreciate it. I don't see why can't he be justified for a change in his perspective.

Tell me how many overseas Chinese have not spit about China? Hated their own Asian-ness? I have hated the language before and hated it to the core. But now I love it. I love how specific words fit and such and such. I'm thankful I learned that language and not go around like some aimless banana. Sometimes I'm frustrated with it still cause it's so difficult to learn but really. Frustration is nothing.

It sucks in this world to do many good things and then get tarnished forever for one bad thing.

It'll be interesting, though, to see how 2PM's company, JYPE (head up by JYP) respond to this. JYP must have some PR headache now with 2PM's new full-length album due next month or so. I think Jay should lie low for a while, do some community good GENUINELY and then come back stronger. It happened 4 years ago when he was in his teens. Has he matured? Yes. Has he become more responsible? Yes. Has he been working hard? Yes. Then, he should just continue on his maturity and show that he is a changed man. He confessed, repented and should not be condemned any more. Unless he says it again yesterday, or a week before, or today.

So netizens, do something more useful like congratulating Tablo and Kang Hye-jung on their upcoming nuptials, or contributing to the world's economy, or praying for your North Korean neighbours who are suffering, rather than bringing fire down on a person who made tasteless and tactless remark in his teens and has since been remorseful of it.

An afterthought: Reminds me of how James was so right in saying that the tongue is like a fire that can burn the whole forest down. Teach us all to be more careful in our speech and what we say on the Internet. As Paul had said, let our conversation always be filled with grace and seasoned with salt. Everything we do, let's do it all for the glory of God.


Edit: Some people thought the reason why Jay is feeling all love for Korea now is because of the fame he received there. Well, Jay, you have just acquired questions about your motive now. Fine mess you made for yourself there. Whatever he does or does not do will have people talking either way. Sure sucks being a celebrity.

No comments: