Thursday

It Must Be The Post-BOF Stress Disorder


I admit, I'm probably a laggard in the diffusion of innovation. When Boys Over Flowers 꽃보다 남자 has already ended a week ago, I was just watching Episode 23 on Sunday (there's altogether 25 episodes). While the rest are recovering from post-BOF, I am only halfway through.

(If you are interested to read the recaps for the whole series, check out Dramabeans' excellent commentaries.)

And I admit, as much as it was hyped, I think it really works the fangirl in me. Its Chinese predecessor failed to attract me due to the awkward acting of the Chinese F4. But though Boys Over Flowers is not perfect (there are so many glaring flaws that if you watch it critically it is SO BAD), but it does score points as one of the most successful Kdramas of 2009. And 2009 is not even halfway through!

It's hyped, it's flawed but as Dramabeans puts it, it's a beautiful trainwreck. KBS has never smiled so widely over the success of the pretty boys of Shinhwa High.

If you just searched Boys Over Flowers, you'd find that almost every Korean entertainment site has mentioned it at least once.

(By the way, for those who have KBS World a.k.a Astro, you can catch BOF in its mid-point on Mondays and Tuesdays at 9 p.m. after News @ 9)

But I'm not here to gush over the curly mop of Gu Jun Pyo's (Lee Min-Ho) hair, Yoon Ji Hoo's (Kim Hyun-Joong of SS501) ethereal beauty, So Yi Jung's (Kim Bum) killer smile and Song Woo Bin (Kim Joon of T-Max) eloquent charm.

I'm here, rather, to talk about the OST.

Many complained that the music was misapplied so badly in the drama and I agree with them. Why ruin a moment with the wrong song?!

But drama aside, the OST is actually worth buying. Just head over to YesAsia.com to buy the first OST or the second OST.

First OST



Honestly speaking, I don't really like the first OST. I find the songs too pop-sy. Maybe it's because I am so ingrained with almost paraddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiseeeeeeeeeeeeeee that I just don't want to listen to it anymore.

But there are a few offerings that worked for me.


Tracklist:
1. 파라다이스 (Paradise) - T-Max
2. 내 머리가 나빠서 (Because I'm Dumb) - SS501
3. 알고 있나요 (Do You Know?) - Someday
4. Stand By Me - SHINee
5. Lucky - Ashily
6. 별빛눈물 (Starlight Tears)- 김유경 Kim Yoo Kyung
7. 조금은 (A Little) - 서진영 Seo Jin Young
8. One More Time - 나무자전거 Tree Bicycle
9. I Know (instrumental) with 이정식 Lee Jung Sik
10. Dance With Me (instrumental)
11. Blue Flower (instrumental)
12. So Sad (instrumental)
13. Main Title (Paradise intro) - T-Max

I know many love SS501 and their "Because I'm Dumb" track cause it's probably one of the more decent ballads, but the intro of the song just turns me off. Sorry, SS501 fans.

Let's just say the OST was like its predecessor (same drama director) Witch Amusement (마녀유희) OST which is tolerable, but not great. But if you want the goodies that come with the OST and you really like SS501 and SHINee, why not. I'm not saying it's bad cause I think WA was worse, I just find the overall album not my taste.

Likes more: Track 4, 6, 7, 10


Part 2 OST


The second OST took over the BOF reins at around Episode 17. Though the usage of the music has not really improved, per se, but surprisingly, I like this album. I felt that it was much better than the first.

Maybe I'm bias towards J (제이) and Jisun (지선) who are two of my most favorite Korean artistes, that's why I liked this album. But the overall album was actually something I'd play in my car or my mp3 player.

Tracklist:
1. Say Yes - T-Max
2. Wish Ur My Love (with J) - T-Max
3. 아쉬운 마음인걸 (Yearning of the Heart) - AST'1
4. 애인만들기 (Making A Lover) - SS501
5. 어떡하죠 (What Am I to Do) - Jisun 지선
6. Love Is Fire - Kara
7. Love U - HowL
8. 사랑같은 거 (A Thing Like Love)- Brand New Day
9. 눈물이 난다 (Shedding Tears) - 이상곤 Lee Sang Gon
10. Cellogic (instrumental) - 김영민 Kim Young Min
11. 다가가다 (Going Closer) (instrumental)
12. 낯선 해 (Strange Sun/Year) (instrumental)
13. 사랑을 위하여 (For The Sake of Love) (instrumental)

I highly recommend track 5. Jisun isn't great for nothing.



Why do I like this album way more than the first OST? I think it has a more mature sound (as Episode 13 onwards the characters have already moved on 6 months later) and the fact that the Goong-inspired arrangement is one of the winning points.









Strange Sun/Year 낯선 해 - Boys Over Flowers OST Part 2


It still has that pop-sy feel to it (like Kara's Love Is Fire) but somehow the album have "grown up". Maybe it's the solidness of the ballad tracks. Maybe it just fits the BOF mood.




T-Max (feat. J) - Wish Ur My Love


F4 Special Edition



As if 2 OSTs aren't enough, the dear producers have decided to throw in a special edition featuring Kim Hyun Joong, AST'1 and T-Max.

And what can I say? There's only 4 songs in this album and I love this album to bits!

Tracklist:
1. 행복이란 (Thing Called Happiness) - 김현중 Kim Hyun Joong
2. 가슴이 어떻게 됐나봐 (Something Happened To My Heart) - AST'1 & T-Max
3. 나쁜 마음을 먹게해 (Ballad Version) (Makes My Heart Bad/Fight The Bad Feeling) - T-Max
4. 나쁜 마음을 먹게해 (Dance Version) - T-Max


Kim Hyun Joong - Thing Called Happiness

Kim Hyun Joong is not a singer for nothing. Covering an old song sung by Jo Gyung Soo 조경수, KHJ delivers in his smooth, ballad-y voice.

Kim Joon a.k.a Song Woo Bin (my most favorite F4 - that guy just have charisma overflowing), also a member of T-Max, raps/speaks for Track 3 and 4. Never mind if he's fairly new to the industry.


T-Max singing "Fight The Bad Feeling/Makes My Heart Bad" live on KBS Music Bank 3rd April 2009. Poor Kim Joon - he fainted backstage after performing

The songs (except for Track 1) were also featured in the drama.


I've said enough.



Kim Hyun Joong singing "Because I'm Dumb" (acoustic version) live. I find this version SO MUCH better than the studio version (it doesn't have that weird intro)

No comments: