So I went touring in the library. Not with the newbies of course. Why should I do that? Then my eyes reverted to one small section. I didn't notice it at first. But something familiar made me looked twice...and guess what?
My uni library has a section for fiction! Roald Dahl, CSI...even Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and ENID BLYTON! Can you ever believe that uni library has these fiction. But it really made my day. REALLY. I was happily reading Blyton's the Mystery Series which was a childhood favorite. Mind you, I had read the BM version of the mystery series where Fatty in the original is literally translated as Gemuk in Malay. But I was glad for the English. To read how Fatty is being called Sherlock Holmes, how he disguises himself so well, how Buster will always bark and pounce on Mr. Goon's leg...how Mr. Goon will shout "Gah!" which places itself very well in my vocabulary. I know it's all childish...I mean, "Enid Blyton? That's for kids!" but I like it very much. It brings so many happy memories when Blyton and Nancy Drew in their respective BM version started my liking for mystery and crime fiction.
So at least, now I have some thing to occupy my three hours break between classes. Other than sleep. Sleep of course is always very important. To others, it may be secondary. But to me, it's primary. I can live without sleep for one day, but I must compensate. So sleep is important.
After reading Enid Blyton, I have gotten the inspiration to write mystery again. Not that I have the flair of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or the plots of Agatha Christie. I'm not like Mary Higgins Clark who ace in crime suspense or the ghost writers of Carolyn Keene who glorifies the never-aging super girl detective. I'm not even close to Enid Blyton's humor and heroic children.
Yes, I admit I can be quite boring when it comes to mystery writing because I cannot write suspense. But I'm trying, giving my shot in writing again after so long. Seriously, I have not been writing stories for almost 3 years! I wrote a few in 2004 as those who had faithfully read since 2004 will know but those are short stories. Short love stories which Sherry labels as cliche and she is a tough critic, aren't you Sherry Wong Tortoise? :)
I haven't attempt at novel writing for a long time. I always stopped at Chapter 1 because it's just the gnawing of writer's block. Enid Blyton does open the mind. Ooh, I have already finished Chapter 3 and it is a slow plot, I'll admit. It won't be much interesting to be published as a book. But hey, give chance lah. Right?
I will be posting up the chapters one by one week by week in my stories blog and hopefully we'll finish it eh?
Yes, you must be asking, "Is this girl insane or what? Who in the world has time to write?" Truth is, I don't have much time. But one chapter per week I can still handle. Cause then again, you all might not like my bland story. And you might just give up reading after the first chapter even! Haha. But I'll try to make it interesting. After all, I twisted my Form 6 play and shocked the judges, didn't I? :) Self-praise. Gah!




No comments:
Post a Comment