One thing about celebrities is that they are sold as personalities rather than just talents. Like if you can sing or dance or whatever, but have no striking personality, you will fail or be really under the radar. But if you have a great personality but only mediocre skills, you still survive.
A great example would be the humongous group of Super Junior. I have to admit, SM Entertainment is excellent in marketing their groups (think DBSK/Tohoshinki, SNSD/Girls' Generation, BoA, SHINee and Super Junior) but think the sheer size of Super Junior with 13 members. I could only point out the ones that I remember by watching them on variety shows. SUJU is sold on personality more than talents. Though yeah, all of them can dance (way better than me, definitely) and all of them can carry a tune, but they are really sold through their personalities.
But let's not talk about personalities but their voices. There are apparently 3 best singers in the group: KyuHyun, Ryeowook and Yesung. They are known as KRY. Though many love Ryeowook and KyuHyun's voice more, the voice that I like the most....
...is Yesung's. I like his airy husky mature voice, as opposed to Ryeowook's and KyuHyun's more smooth voices. Though I'll admit, KyuHyun is on the edge of that airy voice and his voice is also a favorite.
The only gripe about Super Junior's singing is that all of them need to control their voices a little bit more. In the end, SUJU is just okay, not always tolerable. I believe the ability of a singer lies in their ability to sing live as well or not, even better than singing in the studio. My favorite song from them is their new song "It's You". I have yet to see them perform that live. So we shall see.
KRY - The One I Love 한 사람만을
(first to sing is KyuHyun, second Ryeowook and the huskiest third is Yesung)
(first to sing is KyuHyun, second Ryeowook and the huskiest third is Yesung)
Around two years later:
Super Junior - Sorry Sorry (in their new album Vol.3 Sorry Sorry)
(The one at 1:00 is KyuHyun, 1:06 is Ryeowook and 3:03 is Yesung)
(The one at 1:00 is KyuHyun, 1:06 is Ryeowook and 3:03 is Yesung)
Super Junior - It's You 너라고 (in their new repackaged album Vol.3 Sorry Sorry)
(The one at 0:37 is KyuHyun, 0:44 is Yesung, 2:13 is Ryeowook)
*I admit, Yesung's smiles in the dancing part is quite smitten-ing. I love his ad-libs at the end.
(The one at 0:37 is KyuHyun, 0:44 is Yesung, 2:13 is Ryeowook)
*I admit, Yesung's smiles in the dancing part is quite smitten-ing. I love his ad-libs at the end.
You can hear Yesung's voice is less huskier than before (will come to that later). KyuHyun and Ryeowook's voice is more or less the same only in "It's You" their voices had more air, especially Ryeowook's. That is the song requirement, their voice generally stays the same.
But for a recent drama OST, Yesung hasn't lose his huskiness, meaning he toned down more for SUJU.
Yesung - 사랑 참 아프다 Love Really Hurts (SBS's Tazza OST)
Who ever thought that I would like Super Junior? No, actually I still don't. Not to the extend of listening to their old songs or replaying "Sorry Sorry" a gazillion times. But their 3rd album IS something.








No comments:
Post a Comment