After hearing "My Everyting" from Lee Min-ho's part in the Boys Over Flowers After Story (supposedly 5 years after, but it's reminiscence more than anything. 5 years later, pah.), I realised, where vocals lack, the composition makes up for it.
My Everyting - Lee Min-ho 이민호
Hwang Chan-hee 황찬희 is a really good songwriter, imo. He wrote "I'm Sorry" sung by Tim, and it's one of my favorite songs. He also wrote this song and though Lee Min-ho isn't a stellar singer (I think this song would be sung better by that huskier voiced guy Shin Min Chul 신민철 of T-Max or Super Junior's Kyuhyun or even Kim Bum though the former voices aren't as deep as Lee Min-ho's) the composition saved him. In other words, it fits his voice.
I'm not being mean to Lee Min-ho. He sounds nice in the verses and he maintained the roundness of his voice throughout the song, despite his "everyting" but you know, he kinda strained a little at the higher notes. I heard this a few times using the earphones so he's an actor who can sing but not a actor-singer. Sorry Min-ho fans. But I like that song cause it's really nicely composed. This whole thing is very Jay Chou.
But let's go to those who can really sing. I stumbled across this two balladeers who don't sing Engrish and held their pitches well.
They are less-in-the-limelight Gavy NJ's Hee-young 희영 and Jang Hye-jin 장혜진. For the English movie "Twilight" (you know, the vampire love story), they did a Korean soundtrack and can I say...even though the music sounded a little like Kelly Clarkson's "A Moment Like This" but oh man, those two voices...
Twilight 영원토록 (Forever)
Judge for yourselves. Their pitching is perfect even when they belt and it's really belt, not shouting. This is called great singing.
And let me ruin the moment for you by showing you the epic fail-ness of my favorite in Super Junior - Yesung 예성. (You would definitely know he's my favorite. Been talking about him non-stop) I realised that I'm a bit like him in terms of personality. Though maybe not so fail but we both take life quite seriously and so depreciate ourselves.
Watching this video, I'm just saying "Oh, Yesung, you make me laugh and cry at the same time. Thank goodness your voice saved you."




No comments:
Post a Comment