One of my friends kidded and said it was my new boyfriend's name.
Wherever she got the idea from. :)
I shall paint a picture for you.
My English name is Rebekah Lee Cheah Jiat.
My Chinese name is 李嘉洁/李嘉潔 (Hanyu Pinyin: Li Jia Jie)
My Korean equivalent is 이차쪠 (Lee Cha Jjye)
(쪠Jjye is a very unknown word, but somehow it exist, I think. The proper Hangeul should be 재Jae.)
Get the connection?
chajjye is going to be a trademark of me and my pen name. I used to go under Danielle Avril and recently thekah. But thekah does not fare well in search engines.
The reason why I used two Js instead of just one J is mainly because 졔 (jye) doesn't exist at all. Another reason is because if you look at my Chinese name it has two Js. Once I mixed it nicely (can't be having three Js now, can I?), I am left with chajjye. Therefore, the two Js. And also in Korean, two Js help to make the J sound stand out more as a single J sounds very alike to Ch. You will need to study the language to know what I'm talking about.
As you can see my favicon (the icon next to the URL) is just two letters: CJ. I used my English and Chinese initials along with the Mandarin pronounciation to create a Korean equivalent.
Now why do I use a Korean equivalent?
- CJ is too short for a blogname.
- LJJ is exactly the same as JJ Lin, the Taiwanese male singer. I don't want to end up being known as JJ.
- I have a soft spot for the Korean language.
- cheahjiat doesn't really sound nice as a domain name. Besides, many people mispronounce my name. chajjye is easier to pronounce. No? And chajjye looks more unique as it is a English, Chinese and Korean mix.
So, this is how chajjye was born. Of course, I will still be known as Rebekah. Or Reb. Or Becs. Or Becky. Or Bekah.




No comments:
Post a Comment