I am pretty excited nowadays as I have finished writing 13 songs in just a month's time! An albumful of songs...yeah yeah, I know, people like Tank probably wrote more than 200 songs at my age...but hey, I stopped learning Chinese, remember? Besides, Tank is really a great artist with much talent...unlike me :(
But I write for the joy of it lerr...I know I have somewhat a talent in writing even if I'm such a lousy storyteller. I don't manipulate words or use bombastic words cause I tried that once and it failed miserably. Besides, what's the point of using bombastic words if no one will understand except university professors? (Hmm....it's unlike Vincent's surprise to nobody questioning what is an apostate during our Malaysian Studies presentation. Maybe they just don't care.)
I find writing a very soothing hobby. It's also a very developing one. It's pretty easy to see the passion of writing in someone's writings. Of course, I can write serious stuff and creative stuff...which leads to a big question I had after reading C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce.
There was once during secondary school I was writing a BM essay. To a sheer moment of desperation, I ended the story with "...and then I woke up."
I got a bad grading for that essay. My teacher even said, "Nobody is suppose to write like that at this age. This is pardonable in primary school."
And then I read The Great Divorce. C.S. Lewis, a prominent figure in English Literature also wrote a similar ending to my essay. That person just had a dream.
I was shocked, flabbergasted, gaping at the ending...and then I find the whole thing so stressful yet hilarious that if I ever meet up with that teacher again, I should show her. Then again, she probably won't remember nuts. Then again, I don't remember who was it. I had so many BM teachers. Hmm.
I try to find new creative ways to write. Writing songs give more flexibility as it doesn't focus much on grammar or long descriptions, which I will have to learn short descriptions (which the Chinese language is so adept at doing) and rhyming. I still can't write a Chinese rap lyric, unfortunately. Somehow it doesn't yet jibe with me.
Right now, I look to great songwriters like Lee Hom, David Tao, Fan WeiQi, Tank, JJ Lin and Fang WenShan (Jay Chou's songwriter) and Jay himself as they really pay attention to what they are doing, whether it'd be lyrics writing or composing.
I hope to write more often. Though I am not crazy enough to want to write 200 songs in the next three months to beat Tank's record. Forced writing is no writing at all. Inspiration is the main key to the game.
However, there is a drawback to my writing. I find journalistic writing especially for newspapers are really not my cup of tea. Though I can write journalistic writing, I don't find it so exciting as the rest. I am not creative to a god-like extend, heck, no. But I do like creative writing. Especially when the whole package of the story is so enthralling.
Even so, I am still so excited after writing 13 songs...I just need an opportunity.
Now I sound like Will Smith from the "Pursuit of Happyness". And I didn't watch the movie. I do want to watch Evan Almighty and Rush Hour 3 though.
Next, the joy of singing. And harmonising. And blogging. And YouTubing...
Thursday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment